What I'm Reading

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Internal and External Conversations

Every community, no matter how big or small, needs a proper balance between internal conversations and external conversations.

By internal conversations, I mean conversations about issues pertaining only to that community. Housemates must sometimes discuss procedures for washing dishes; the government must sometimes discuss the importance of maintaining transparency and limiting the influence of lobbyists; friends and lovers must sometimes discuss the role conversational styles play in creating or solving conflicts.

By external conversations, I mean conversations that could be had with both members and non-members of that community. Housemates should be able to discuss politics, movies, dreams; the government have to be able to talk about poverty, scientific research, the environment; and friends and lovers should be able to make jokes, participate in hobbies together, and talk about things that annoy them about other people.

The same is true for individuals: People should spend time reflecting on their actions (internal), and they should also act (external).

No comments: